Under the leadership of the Bishop of Cleveland and inspired by the Gospel, Catholic Charities continues the mission of Jesus by responding to those in need through an integrated system of quality services designed to respect the dignity of every person and build a just and compassionate society.
Catholic Charities, Diocese of Cleveland, envisions a world touched by God’s love: where we alleviate poverty and need, and all people share justly in the blessings of creation.
- Dignity of Person: In the Genesis story of creation we are told that the human person is created in the very image and likeness of God. (Genesis 1:27) The Scriptures further reflects that as God created all the aspects of the universe, along with man and woman, God looked upon creation and noted that it was “good.” In fact, God ultimately proclaims that all God had created was indeed “very good.” (Genesis 1:31)
- Concern for the Poor: “For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me…In so far as you did this to one of the least of these sisters and brothers of Mine, you did it for me.” (Matthew 25)
- Justice: “This is what God asks of you only this, to act justly to love tenderly and to walk humbly with your God.” (Micah 6:8)
- Hope: “I came that they may have life and have it more abundantly.” (John 10:10)
- Stewardship: “As each one has received a gift, use it to serve one another as good stewards of God’s varied grace.” (1 Peter 4:10)
Catholic Social Teaching
Our work at Catholic Charities is guided by the principles of Catholic Social Teaching.
- Life and Dignity of the Human Person
- Call to Family, Community, and Participation
- Rights and Responsibilities
- Option for the Poor and Vulnerable
- The Dignity of Work and the Rights of Workers
- Care for Gods’ Creation
You can learn more about Catholic Social Teaching by visiting the Diocesan Social Action Office’s microsite here.
Our Strategic Priorities
Mission Engagement and Collaboration
Employer of Choice
Heroin Epidemic Response
Investment in Human Capital
Family Preservation & Empowerment
Marketing & Communications
Mission & Catholic Identity
Organizational Support & Infrasturcture